Pastor Irene Huang-General Epistles
Topics: Bible Overview (7) General Epistles
- The purpose of the Letters: teaching, encourage, rebuke, strengthen
- Paul’s Epistle: 1st & 2nd 1st & 2nd Corinthians, Ephesians, Philippians & Colossians, Titus, 1st & 2nd Timothy
- General Epistles: There are 8 books: Hebrew, James, 1 Peter,2 Peter, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, Jude
- Why does Paul’s epistles appear before other epistles? What is the relationship between them?
- Paul had a very important role in the book of acts, so his books comes after as a logical placement
- Paul’s epistles emphasize more on theology and more specific than the general epistles, so it was put first
- Paul’s epistles laid the foundation for theology and the general epistles are supplements
- 2 peters:3: 15-16 revealed in bible history, that when he was writing the books, Paul’s letters were already circulating in the public.
- The general epistles is not secondary in contrast to Paul’s epistles:
Paul’s audience was specific churches or person, the general epistles is for those Christians scattered throughout Judea with no specific target, in comparison with Paul’s books, the general epistles have less discussion on the holy spirit and church and emphasized more on the end days and the lives of Christians
- Many interesting facts:
- 2 Timothy 3:16 “All scripture is God-breathed” the book of Hebrew is long and rhetoric. the book of James comes next and is full of richness in content, the two books are very different! The holy spirit supernaturally revealed to these two authors, but their individual personality and penmanship was not affected.
- The placement of the 8 general epistles was very interesting and there’s a balance between the 8 books
Hebrews emphasize faith, James on acts of goodness
Peter discuss future and hope, James reemphasize this truth and progresses in truth, John centers on love, Jude supplements the need to defend the truth
- Very important (Revelation 22:18-19)
- How to explain?
- ) Did it already happen, or it’s the future? For john’s times, it’s the future, so we can utilize some of the prophecy
2.) Is the meaning metaphorical? Or it’s literal happening? The book of revelation is a letter, but it’s words of prophesy. When we read it, we must understand it through reading as a letter as a Christian, so we have the right attitude.
- How to utilize?
1.) The end times are filled with disasters
2.) Looking at disasters, are you firm on the truth? Your faith, love, and hope base can withstand trials?
3.) The last two chapters talk about Satan’s end and the triumph of Jesus and the judgment of mankind, the new world and this is the important part of john’s book.
4.) Do you believe in this book?
The prophesy in bible coming true. The biggest prophesy happened when Israel was destroyed but was rebuilt again as a nation.1948 the 7-day war was the event in the prophesy. (Isaiah 11:11-12)
- will Jesus’ prophecy come true? (Matthew 24:29-33)